Before watching the video:
- Synthetic biology is an emerging discipline which may not be covered in conventional biology textbooks. However, this area of research offers is sure to continue to spread in its application and influence. For this reason, it would be beneficial to expose students to this important issue from a Christian worldview.
Discuss: What do you think of when you hear the phrase, "Scientists are working toward creating life in the lab"? Do you think these efforts are compatible with the Christian worldview or a threat to it?
- Background research: Have students look up resources related to synthetic biology. What is synthetic biology (come up with a working definition)? What are the promise and perils of this research? What are some of the potential applications of this technology?
After the video:
- Ask: Summarize Dr. Rana's position about synthetic biology. In his view, does it prove evolution? Why not?
- Discuss: What potential careers are available in this field of research? Is this research something that a Christian could do?
- Additional resource: "A Theology for Synthetic Biology"
- Teacher Resource: Creating Life in the Lab (Dr. Rana's book)
Return to Through the Lens.
Subjects: Artificial Life in the Lab, Educators/Homeschoolers, Youth