Before watching the video:
- Activity: Look up the term "habitable zone." (This will be discussed further in the video clip.)
- Activity: Research why astronomers focus on looking for planets with water.
- Recommended Resource: "NASA's Kepler Spacecraft Discovers Its First Rocky Exoplanet" (video clip on YouTube)
After the video:
- Discuss: Even though a planet is located in a "habitable zone" or had water at some point in the past, does that automatically mean we should expect to find life on it? Why or why not?
- Activity: Download the free "Exoplanet" app from iTunes. Explore the variety of planets currently known to scientists. Note their differences in size, density, and other parameters.
Return to Through the Lens.
Subjects: Educators/Homeschoolers, Extrasolar Planets, Habitable Planets, Youth