Faculty & Staff
All of the instructors involved with Reasons Institute are accomplished scholars. They also share a common conviction that the Bible is the error-free word of God, believe in Jesus Christ as their Creator and Savior, and adhere to RTB's Statement of Faith.
RTB Staff Scholars
- Hugh Ross, Ph.D. in astronomy, University of Toronto
- David Rogstad, Ph.D. in physics, CalTech
- Kenneth Samples, M.A. in theology, Talbot School of Theology
- Jeff Zweerink, Ph.D. in astrophysics, Iowa State University
Dean of Online Learning
- Krista Bontrager - M.A. in theology; M.A. in Bible Exposition, Talbot School of Theology
- Erica Carlson, Ph.D. in physics, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Patrick McGuire, M.S. in mechanical engineering, University of New Mexico
- John A. Battle, Th.D. - Dr. Battle is the president of Western Reformed Seminary and professor of New Testament and Theology. He oversees the "Creation and the Bible" course.
- Sue Dykes, M.S. - Sue is originally from the UK, but has lived in South Africa for the last 30 years. She is currently working on a Masters in paleoanthropology at the University of the Witwatersrand and is the chairlady of a hospital/clinic outreach charity, as well as a sworn translator in French. She oversees the audit sections of the "Creation vs. Evolution" course and is a T.A. in the "Advanced Seminar on Human Origins."
- Mihretu Guta, M.A., M.A. - Mihretu is originally from Ethiopia where he grew up in a Christian home. He lives in the UK and is working on a Ph.D. in philosophy at the University of Durham. He oversees the "World Religions and Science" course for both Biola University and Hope International University.
- Rick Gerhardt, M.Sc., M.A. - Mr. Gerhardt is a biologist/ecologist, working as a wildlife researcher and consultant. He has a M.Sc. in raptor biology and a M.A. in Christian Apologetics from Biola University. He is also a certified RTB Volunteer Apologist and an elder in his church. Rick oversees the "Creation vs. Evolution" course for Hope International University. You can check out his blog, Peregrinations.
- Otis Graf, Ph.D. - Dr. Graf has a Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering and Orbital Mechanics from the University of Texas at Austin. He worked for NASA in Houston, TX on the Apollo Lunar Landing mission, the Space Shuttle program and other projects. Otis oversees the "Astronomy and Design" course.
- Stan Lennard, M.D. - Dr. Lennard oversees the "Advanced Seminar on Human Origins" and "Advanced Seminar on the Origins of Life" courses. He is also the chairman of the board for Reasons To Believe.
- Gene Lopata, Ph.D. - Dr. Lopata has a Ph.D. in physical chemistry and is now retired from a long career in thin film development. Gene is actively involved in the ministry of RTB and oversees the audit section of the "Astronomy and Design" course.
- Mark Perez, M.A. - Mr. Perez is the Deputy Chief for the Los Angeles Police Department. He has an M.A. in Philosophy (emphasis Philosophy of Science) from California State University, Los Angeles. He also received a California State University Certificate in Teaching Critical Thinking. Mr. Perez facilitates the "Critical Thinking Skills for the Christian" course.
Apologetics Community Coordinator
- Bob Stuart, D.C. - Dr. Stuart is retired from the U.S. Air Force, where he was trained in military intelligence. A change in occupational direction led to a career in chiropractic, where he headed up the physical therapy department at a medical group in Southern California. Bob oversees training and management of an ever-expanding worldwide team of volunteer apologists.