It’s no wonder Holy Week is so special to believers. As RTB theologian Kenneth Samples writes, “Jesus’ being raised to new life three days after His execution pumps the heart of the Christian gospel (doctrine), and is Christianity’s central supporting fact (apologetics).”
In previous years, we (Sandra and Maureen) have shared our thoughts on Palm Sunday, Lent, and Good Friday. This year we asked our fellow RTB staff members for their thoughts on or traditions for Holy Week.
The reality of God incarnate is overwhelming. He joined Himself with not only flesh and blood, but suffering and death, redeeming all of creation. Holy week is to me a “bright sadness.” – Sia, Ministry Care
My family and I like to walk through the week with Jesus. Each day we read what Christ did during that particular day of the week—we pick one gospel and discover together. What did Christ do on Palm Sunday? Palm Sunday night? Monday? And so on. – Krista, Reasons Academy/Institute
Here’s something my family does based on my Portuguese heritage. My grandparents make sweet bread every Easter and they put a hard-boiled egg in the dough and bake it. Whoever finds the egg in their bread gets a big box of Peeps marshmallows. Not very Christian or “Easter-y” but that’s what we do. – Brandon, Digital Outreach
What about you? How do you and your family recognize Holy Week and Easter, specifically?
For more RTB commentary on this special time in the Christian year, check out these resources.
- “Thoughts on Palm Sunday” (blog) by Maureen and Sandra
- “It Is a Good Friday” (blog) by Sandra
- “Remember Me” (blog) by Maureen
- “Understanding Lent” (blog) by Sandra
- “Christ’s Cross: Its Four-Fold Distinctive Meaning” (article) by Kenneth Samples
- “Resurrection: What’s the Story?” (podcast) from Straight Thinking
- “Resurrection: What’s the Historical Evidence?” (podcast) from Straight Thinking
- “Resurrection: Humanity’s Greatest Hope” (podcast) from Straight Thinking
- “If Christ Had Not Been Raised from the Dead: Reasoning through the Resurrection” (article) by Kenneth Samples
- “Christianity’s Dangerous Ideas” (article) by Kenneth Samples
- “God to the Rescue: Getting into Heaven by Grace, Not Works” (blog) by Kenneth Samples
- “How Can I Get to Heaven?” (article) by Hugh Ross