God, Humans, and Time
Time has a beginning, but God operates outside of time. On the other hand, humans are confined to time.
- Psalm 139 "Where can I go from your Spirit?... All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."
- Colossians 1:15-17 "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."
- 2 Timothy 1:9 "This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time."
- Titus 1:2 "A faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time."
- Revelation 21 "I am making everything new.... Nothing impure will enter it,.. . but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life."
Humankind's Desire to Impose Boundaries on God
Individuals are reluctant to accept that God lives in more dimensions than we do.
- Numbers 22-24 "Now stay here tonight as the others did, and I will find out what else the Lord will tell me."
- Psalm 2:2-3 "The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against His Anointed One. Let us break their chains they say, and throw off their fetters."
- Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John -- the Pharisees "If we let Him go on like this, everyone will believe in Him, and then the Romans will come and take away our place."
- Revelation 6:16 "They called to the mountains and the rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!'"
Humankind's Unwillingness to Accept God-Imposed Boundaries
Individuals are reluctant to admit they are confined to a limited number of dimensions.
- Genesis 3:24 "After He drove the man out, He placed... cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life."
- Genesis 6 "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be 120 years."
- Genesis 11 "Come let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."
- Isaiah 38-39, 2 Chronicles 32 "This is what the Lord says: 'Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.' ... And Hezekiah wept bitterly."
- Revelation 20 "When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released and will go out to deceive the nations . . . -- to gather them for battle."