TNRTB Archive - Retained for reference information
A recent discovery of apparently old galaxies in the young universe may seem to some to challenge the biblically consistent big bang creation models. In truth, this discovery of well-developed galaxies at a time when the universe was young adds a new feature to the most popular big bang creation models. This feature will probably add significant new evidence for the supernatural design of the cosmos for the benefit of human life. European astronomers made the first direct measurements of the abundance of massive galaxies at great distances. They found that while two-thirds of massive galaxies completed their mass accumulation after the universe was six billion years old, one-third were already fully formed by this time. This observation implies that the merging of small galaxies to make much larger galaxies accounts for only two-thirds of all massive galaxies. The other massive galaxies must have formed quickly from large mass concentrations in the early universe. This combination of two different pathways for forming massive galaxies, one quick and the other slow, provides a fine-tuned neighborhood of galaxy companions for the Milky Way Galaxy that allows the Milky Way Galaxy to continuously sustain life on Earth for nearly four billion years. Such exceptional longevity of life is a crucial requirement for human existence and civilization.
· Karl Glazebrook et al., “A High Abundance of Massive Galaxies 3-6 Billion Years After the Big Bang,” Nature 430 (2004): 181-84.
· A. Cimatti et al., “Old Galaxies in the Young Universe,” Nature 430 (2004): 184-87.
· Gregory D. Wirth, “Old Before Their Time,” Nature 430 (2004): 149-50.
· http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v430/n6996/index.html; doi:10.1038/430149a
• Related Resources
- Hugh Ross and John Rea, “Big Bang—The Bible Taught It First!” Facts for Faith 3 (Q3 2000), 26-31
- Hugh Ross, “Predictive Power: Confirming Cosmic Creation,” Facts for Faith 9 (Q2 2002), 32-39
- Hugh Ross, “A Beginner’s—and Expert’s—Guide to the Big Bang,” Facts for Faith 3 (Q3 2000), 14-32.
· Product Spotlights
- Journey Toward Creation, 2nd edition, by Hugh Ross
- The Creator and the Cosmos, 3rd edition, by Hugh Ross